Thursday, April 25, 2013

Frontend on!


After lining everthing up I found that the headstock was too far forward.  It was fine but I want this to look compact, almost cartoonish and keep it small for the little lady.  With that in mind we redid the headstock, moving it back about 2.5 inches.  When I say "we" I refer to the odd time I work on this at my Dads.  When working with "The Fast Fossil" you tend to stand around while he starts a flurry of activity, producing a part before you have thought about what to do...

Here you can see the shorter frame and to be honest it looks much better.  It is also in a thicker section of wood so will be stronger as well, always a plus.  You can also see the attached swingarm with basic shaping to it.  I was going to have it with small radius on the front edge but I am now thinking of rounding it down to avoid little heels hitting it when scooting around.  I need to make the "twin shock" uprights for the swingarm as thats what the TZ flattracker had and it will not be strong enough as it is.




Here is the fork/triple clamp in place.  Currently it just has two bolds going into the headstock but I will be making a single bar going through the whole lot.


It is starting to take shape and looks like a bike.


I had to scallop the bottom triple clamp as it was hitting the downtube when the steering was moved left/right.  In retrospect I should have finished and painted the forks and clamps before gluing them up (only the top clamp is glued) but it wont be too difficult to finish them off.





No comments:

Post a Comment