Saturday, March 30, 2013

Final Frame Lamination

With the 3 sheet core done it was time to lighten it then put on the final exterior sheets.

I was going to put pics of an expertly lightened core up but I forgot to borrow hole cutters from my dad (boo hiss) so used the largest drill bit I had (18mm).  This "hack job" would serve no purpose other than to be a lesson to me alone and as such there is no photographic evidence.

So without further ado I glued on my outer skins.  Having learnt from my previous clamping I used some spanners to spread the load.  This worked well as the clamps can put enough force on the damage the wood so spreading it out is no problem.



I stuck it in the spare room on some boards to catch any drips...


The end user taking an early look, she seemed to find it interesting.


So, when this is dry I will "shape" it which sounds fancy but really its just sanding, shaving etc.  I made the outer skins with a bit of overhang over the core as the jigsaw picked up the fibres slightly on the outer ply and also it gives me a little more practice material to remove!

No comments:

Post a Comment