Sunday, March 31, 2013

Out of the mould

Well, not exactly a mould but the clamps are off!


I was concerned that it might not be as stiff as I wanted but the addition of the two outer layers really increased its strength.  IT takes considerable effort to bend it which, when combined with the lateral strengthening seat and tank base panels will be strong enough to support an adult (yaay).

In the pic you can see the mess my jigsaw makes of the outer plywood layer when cutting.  I tried a few things to stop it (including sandwiching it between layers ) but I guess my blade isn't ideal for thin ply (I got it for cutting conti boards a few years ago).  Still, I left enough overhang for it not to be a problem whtn I remove the excess and put the final finish on.

Hopefully at some point today I will start to finish off this piece ready for staining.  I was going to paint the frame black but having seen some examples of sanded plywood I think the natural patterns on it look really cool.  I got some ebony exterior wood stain so while it will look black at closer inspection you will get the wood grains.

Next up will be the swingarm and "twinshock" uprights then the forks.

Once the bike is a compelte rolling chassis I will start on the engine, tank, seat shape and exhausts.  I knocked up a quick drawing to see how it might look...


I can't wait! er to see my daughter on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment