Saturday, March 30, 2013

The build begins (TZ 750 balance bike)

When we were little (2+) my Dad made my brother and I some little bikes, no pedals, suspension forks and little wooden engines.

Nowadays you would call them "balance bikes" but back then (the 70's) they were pretty unique.  I thought I would make one for my daughter.  Looking on the "net" people make them from plywood etc, 2 beams going from headstock to rear axle but they look a bit naff.

Having looked at a few bits of plywood I decided to make a replica of "The Kings" TZ750 flat tracker.  Just a bit of fun really and it will look different from the rest of the wood bikes making it a bit more worthwhile making the effort to make it. If I were just copying the design from others I might as well simply buy one from ebay (they are available new for around £30).

So, I popped to my local wood store and got 2 sheets of 4mm plywood (Far Eastern WBP).  These were a tenner (£10) each and came as a 8x4 foot sheets.  I had them cut each one into 2 4x4 sheets as I was in the car.  I also got some "external" use glue that is designed to brave the rain.

Now it was a windy day and it was with some trepidation I stepped beyond the threshold into the elements carrying 4 4x4 boards.  The timber shop was busy with tradesmen, keen to laugh at my newbie materials handling technique.  I needn't have worried, but I did have to bend the boards a fair bit individually to get them into my boot, this seemed to make a mochery of the guy who cut the boards for me remarking on how 'lovely and flat' they were...

Meanwhile, I had put a bid on a childs pushbike (12" wheels) on eBay and won it for £2.20!!  I picked it up, whipped the wheels off and threw the rest in the skip.

The wheels are a bit poor and need redoing so I nipped to my local cycle shop and got 32 new stainless nipples.





In fact while I was looking at them two fronts would be best as the rear is wider to account for the sprockets etc.  I set about removing the sprocket (helpfully welded on) and cutting down the axle to make it narrower. I may buy another bike just for its front wheel...

I have dismantled the wheels completely and plan to have the rims black, black spokes and polished nipples.   The front will have a black hub, the rear a polished one.  Should look pretty nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment